Sample Name: Mala
Sample UID: SA001679X
Sample Description:This sample consists of Malas (lower caste) sampled from Vishakapatnam, Andhra Pradesh, India.
Number of Chromosomes: 22
Relation to Other Samples:
References:- Shriver MD, Mei R, Parra EJ, Sonpar V, Halder I, Tishkoff SA, Schurr TG, Zhadanov SI, Osipova LP, Brutsaert TD, Friedlaender J, Jorde LB, Watkins WS, Bamshad MJ, Gutierrez G, Loi H, Matsuzaki H, Kittles RA, Argyropoulos G, Fernandez JR, Akey JM, Jones KW. "Large-scale SNP analysis reveals clustered and continuous patterns of human genetic variation". Hum Genomics. 2:81-89. (2005) Online citation.
Sample UID: SA001573Q
Sample Description:This sample consists of Malas living in Andhra Pradesh, India. Malas are a Pancham caste population that speak Telugu, a Dravidian language.
Number of Chromosomes: 190
References:- Reddy BM, Naidu VM, Madhavi VK, Thangaraj K, Langstieh BT, Venkataramana P, Kumar V, Singh L. "STR data for the Amp FlSTR Profiler Plus loci among 27 populations of different social hierarchy from southern part of Andhra Pradesh, India". Forensic Sci Int. 149:81-97. (2005) Online citation.
- Reddy BM, Reddy ANS, Nagaraja T, Bhaskar LVKS, Thangaraj K, Reddy AG, Singh L "Single Nucleotide Polymorphisms of the Alcohol Dehydrogenase Genes among the 28 Caste and Tribal Populations of India.". Int J Hum Genet 6:309-316. (2006)
Sample UID: SA003824R
Sample Description:This sample consists of Mala individuals from Warangal, Andhra Pradesh, India.
Number of Chromosomes: 32
References:- Gallego Romero I, Basu Mallick C, Liebert A, Crivellaro F, Chaubey G, Itan Y, Metspalu M, Eaaswarkhanth M, Pitchappan R, Villems R, Reich D, Singh L, Thangaraj K, Thomas MG, Swallow DM, Mirazón Lahr M, Kivisild T. "Herders of Indian and European Cattle Share Their Predominant Allele for Lactase Persistence". Mol Biol Evol 29:249-260. (2012) Online citation.
Sample UID: SA003712N
Sample Description:This sample consists of individuals from the Mala caste. The Mala caste is part of the lower Hindu caste hierarchy. All memebers of this sample speake Telegu, a Dravidian language. The study protocol was approved by the IRB of Andhra University.
Relation to Other Samples: Subset of SA000572O
References:- Bamshad M, Kivisild T, Watkins WS, Dixon ME, Ricker CE, Rao BB, Naidu JM, Prasad BV, Reddy PG, Rasanayagam A, Papiha SS, Villems R, Redd AJ, Hammer MF, Nguyen SV, Carroll ML, Batzer MA, Jorde LB. "Genetic evidence on the origins of Indian caste populations". Genome Res. 11:994-1004. (2001) Online citation.
- Xing J, Watkins WS, Shlien A, Walker E, Huff CD, Witherspoon DJ, Zhang Y, Simonson TS, Weiss RB, Schiffman JD, Malkin D, Woodward SR, Jorde LB. "Toward a more uniform sampling of human genetic diversity: a survey of worldwide populations by high-density genotyping". Genomics 96:199-210. (2010) Online citation.
- Xing J, Watkins WS, Witherspoon DJ, Zhang Y, Guthery SL, Thara R, Mowry BJ, Bulayeva K, Weiss RB, Jorde LB. "Fine-scaled human genetic structure revealed by SNP microarrays". Genome Res. 19:815-25. (2009) Online citation.
Sample UID: SA003373Q
Sample Description:This sample consists of Mala caste (Chittoor district of Andhra Pradesh).
Note: This sample information is not fully curated. For additional information about the sample, consult the publications under "References". The sample was entered as part of data submission by Eisenberg DA.
Number of Chromosomes: 76
References:- Eisenberg DA, Kuzawa, CW, Hayes MG "Worldwide allele frequencies of the human apolipoprotein E
(APOE) gene: climate, local adaptations and evolutionary
history". American Journal of Physical Anthropology 143:100-11. (2010) Online citation.
- Venkatramana P, Reddy PC, and Ferrell RE "Apolipoprotein E Polymorphism Among the Indian Populations and its Comparison with Other Asian Populations". International Journal of Human Genetics 1:123-128. (2001)
Sample UID: SA000572O
Sample Description:This sample was collected from individuals living in Andhra Pradesh who belong to the Mala caste . Andhra Pradesh is located on the eastern coast of South India. The Mala caste is part of the lower Hindu caste hierarchy. All memebers of this sample speake Telegu, a Dravidian language.
Number of Chromosomes: 52
References:- Bamshad MJ, Watkins WS, Dixon ME, Jorde LB, Rao BB, Naidu JM, Prasad BVR, Rasanayagam A, Hammer MF. "Female gene flow stratifies Hindu castes". Nature 395:651-652. (1998) Online citation.
- Watkins WS, Bamshad M, Dixon ME, Bhaskara Rao B, Naidu JM, Reddy PG, Prasad BVR, Das PK, Reddy PC, Gai PB, Bhanu A, Kusuma YS, Lum JK, Fischer P, Jorde LB. "Multiple origins of the mtDNA 9-bp deletion in populations of South India". Am J Phys Anthropol 109:147-158. (1999) Online citation.
© 2012 Kenneth K Kidd, Yale University. All rights reserved. The full Copyright Notification is also available.Originally prototyped by Michael Osier with the aid of Kei CheungUpgrades and maintenance since 2002 by Haseena Rajeevan